Nevertheless, the ACLU as an organization makes an honest effort to be nonpartisan, and it gets fascinating at times. And so, at about this time last week, at the ACLU's national conference, I was watching a debate on 1st Amendment issues with these panelists:
- NPR correspondent Ina Jaffe
- ACLU president Nadine Strossen
- Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president/CEO of the NRA
- ... and right wing jurist Kenneth Starr (yes, the guy who hounded Clinton to impeachment)
If you want to watch the whole thing, there's streaming video available at the ACLU conference web site - the 1st Amendment panel is one of the videos available through the July 8th videos link.